After we got the boat cleaned up, it was time to start knocking items of the list of things to repair from the survey. There were several items suggested to do, which we will in time, and a few items that we have to do for safety and insurance.
Some items were simple to do, like we have to have a first aid kit on the boat, no brainer, just pick one up at the Kmart. Some items have been a little more complicated to do like a propane leak, electronics not working , anchor light (light at the top of the mast) not working, and bilge pump incorrect size.
I had to prioritize which had to be done first. Some would say do the propane because that sounds dangerous and can explode. While that is true, we can just simply unhook it and not use it for now and that risk is gone. For me, the most important was the bilge pump. If the boat leaks or takes on water and it doesn’t work, the boat, our home, sinks. So ensuring that risk is minimized, I had to make a run to West Marine.
Our boat originally had a Rule 1500 gph pump. I assume it stopped working because the previous owner left it, disconnected it, and installed a much smaller inefficient 500 gph pump (compare in picture above). Going back with the original size was ‘easy’ because it was a direct replacement. That was the only easy thing. After driving to West Marine and back with a new pump and new hose clamps I had to go back. The hose that the original pump went to was cut and a replacement section of hose for the 500 gph hose was fitted. Since the original hose end was cut I now had to go back to West Marine and find an adapter, new larger replacement section of hose and a few more hose clamps. With my work schedule and West Marine business hours, it only took me three days to complete this small project. Not only did it take me three days but in the process I started another project of sea strainer maintenance but that’s for later. Cost of repair: less than $75. I forgot to take some before photos but here are some after photos.